Free Webinar for Maine OTs!
Learn More Here!
Calling ALL Occupational Therapists and COTAs….
I have something that could help expand your services AND better prepare your patients to return to driving…
After many years of experience as an Occupational Therapist and Certified Driving Rehabilitation Specialist, I’ve learned that many Occupational Therapists aren’t familiar with the full process of helping our patients drive again.
That’s why I created an online course that prepares ANY generalist OT to become confident in this emerging area of practice.
This course is designed to advance your existing skills as an OT to assess, understand, and treat underlying physical, visual, visual perceptual and cognition deficits that impact traditional IADL and driving.
In this course I address not only YOUR ROLE but also my role as a certified driving rehabilitation specialist. You will know when to refer to a driving rehabilitation specialist and how we work as a team to get someone on the road safely.
I will share my methods for education, assessment and treatment, as well as explore what works and what doesn’t when addressing this specialty area.
The skills you learn in this course can be immediately applied to your practice the next day!
In this one-of-a-kind course, objectives include (but are not limited to):
• Identify and confidently use evidenced-based screening tools that guide your goals and interventions
• Identify and address underlying visual, visual perceptual and cognitive conditions
• Quickly and easily identify and refer to clinicians in your community who have proven success in restorative and compensatory strategies with such areas as vision processing disorders or visual field cuts, using prisms and other adaptive strategies.
• Become familiar with different forms of client education and online training resources to achieve the best results for your patients
• Not only that, but members also get immediate access to a private Facebook group with fellow OTs as well as direct access to methrough live Zoom calls. These additions will give you the support you need so that you can confidently address driving in your daily practice.
I will be doing a free webinar on 3/07/19 from 7-8pm to teach you how you can guide your patients back to driving.
In this free webinar, I will cover:
• An overview of the Maine state laws and where to find them
• Gain a free guide to help you through the rehabilitation process, prior to any behind the wheel activity
• Gain a comfort level so that you can have positive conversations about driving with your patients
• Take a virtual tour of an online course I developed for generalist Occupational Therapists and COTAs
See for yourself below…
FREE Webinar: Guide Your Patients Back to Driving
Learn exactly how to guide your patient back to driving and when it is time to refer for an in depth driving evaluation.
1/17/19 Webinar Replay/Resources
Thank you for registering and attending the webinar!! Here is all the information from the webinar!! Just in case you missed it, or want to rewatch it, or want to share it!!
presented by Heather Shields, OTR/L, CDRS owner of Pathways Driving Rehab Services
phone: 207-530-0307, cell/business phone
- Replay of the Webinar “ How to Guide Your Patients Back to Driving” https://youtu.be/uTOeZI_rlLI
- Maine State Functional Ability Profiles https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/medical.html
- AOTA/Genesis Driving Pathways By Diagnoses Worksheets https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydqkbdqy2ng8gee/Driving_Pathways_by_Diagnosis_Sheets.pdf?dl=0
- Neuro-optometrists: Dr. Colin Robinson in Windham, Dr. K at Harborview Eyecare, Dr. Nathan Corbell in Scarborough. Please call me before you refer the patient if you have any questions. Some of these patients are complicated and it is VERY IMPORTANT they are referred to the correct optometrist.
- Pathways Driving Rehab Resources page to have positive and productive conversations with your patients https://pathwaysrehabservices.com/resources/
- “The Generalist OT’s Role in Driving” online course developed by Heather Shields, OTR/L, CDRS https://onlinecourseforots.memberportal.io/p/15759/53176/. Enrollment starts now, class starts on 1/24/19.
Please share this with people who would be interested!! I am grateful for your attendance and look forward to collaborating in the future!
Heather Shields, OTR/L, CDRS