What is driving rehabilitation?
- Driving Rehabilitation combines my skills as an occupational therapist and a certified driving rehab specialist.
- During the driving evaluation, I am looking at how someone’s medical condition is affecting them, sometimes permanently, sometimes temporary.
- AND how that could affect someone’s ability to drive.
- There is a whole gamut of adaptive equipment available when someone’s medical condition has caused a decline in physical abilities.
- The driving evaluation is a process where I investigate and problem solve together with the client, family and healthcare team to find a solution that allows the client a way to drive safely as long as possible.
- Sometimes this is NOT an option and people need to retire from driving. This is tough on everyone. I work together with the client and family to find a list of transportation alternatives. It is possible to stay connected, even when it is time to retire from driving.
Learn more about driving rehab by watching the video below:
Heather Shields is an experienced Occupational Therapist and is passionate about helping people in Maine stay connected to the people and places they love. She offers a unique service, driving rehabilitation, which helps people learn to drive with adaptive equipment, stay driving as long as possible or determine when it is time to retire from driving.