What is driving rehabilitation?
- The driving evaluation is a process where I investigate and problem solve together with the client, family and healthcare team to find a solution that allows the client a way to drive safely as long as possible.
- Driving Rehabilitation combines my skills as an Occupational Therapist and driving instructor.
- During the driving evaluation, I am looking at how a client’s medical condition is affecting them, sometimes permanently, sometimes temporarily.
- AND how that could affect the client’s ability to drive.
- There is a whole gamut of adaptive equipment available when the client’s medical condition has caused a decline in physical abilities.
- Sometimes this is NOT an option and people need to retire from driving. This is tough on everyone. I work together with the client and family to find a list of transportation alternatives. It is possible to stay connected, even when it is time to retire from driving.
Learn more about driving rehab by watching the videos below:
I am an occupational therapist with over 20 years experience. Additionally, I am a driving instructor and certified driving rehab specialist.
I am passionate about helping people in Maine stay connected to the people and places they love. I offer a unique service, driving rehabilitation, which helps people learn to drive with adaptive equipment, stay driving as long as possible, or determine when it is time to retire from driving.
I have helped hundreds of people regain their ability to drive following an acute or chronic medical event, such as a stroke, traumatic brain injury, concussion, spinal cord injury, leg amputation, peripheral neuropathy, multiple sclerosis, dementia, and students with special needs to ensure they have the skills required to take driver’s ed.